Full time General Manager
Report to: Property Owners
Remuneration: Salary commensurate with experience, includes room & board at Chute Lake Lodge
Location: Chute Lake Lodge, Okanagan Valley, Naramata, BC
Nestled in the mountains above the Naramata Bench and the Okanagan Provincial Park, under new ownership since Fall of 2018, our Family Owned Lodge welcomes groups and individuals to a destination with endless possibilities. We have created a place unlike any other, steeped in history and the stories of people once brought by rail, now inspired by a passion for nature, this is a place to unplug and reconnect. To this end, we offer a comprehensive event experience, with everything from fishing, biking and E-biking, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, Paddle boarding, to snowshoes and Fat-Bikes all available in one extraordinary setting. Our goal is to offer our guests first class service in a relaxed informal setting. Your warm welcome, knowledge of our resort, facilities, and services will allow guests to create a memorable experience.
The role of Lodge General Manager assigns you full responsibility for lodge operations both inside and out. The role requires a high level of responsibility, and reports directly to the Lodge Owners.
As the Lodge General Manager you will lead the oversight of the daily operations of the resort. This includes the Scheduling and Management of all Staff from the Kitchen Manager to the Operations Team, Housekeeping Staff, Activity Rentals, and the overall Guest Experience. It is your job to make sure that every guest has an incredible stay at Chute Lake Lodge. Beyond daily oversight and leadership, you will be accountable for directing staff (and leading if required) the efficient snow clearing, yard maintenance, repairs and maintenance of cabins/washrooms/lodge rooms etc. You have a solid understanding of what makes the hospitality business tick, you are always analyzing the business and proposing business development and enhancement solutions to the Ownership group. Knowledgeable in Accounting principles and general book-keeping means that you know how to track the business and drive results. It is your attention to detail and your commitment to first-class service and hospitality that will add the finishing touch to the Chute Lake Lodge experience. You are passionate about the backcountry experience, and you enjoy sharing the experience. You make each guest feel welcome and strive to make them feel comfortable, relaxed, safe, and right at home.
You are a true people person, yet you thrive on living a little further down the road from most folks (about 30 minutes from Penticton and an hour from Kelowna). You love the outdoors and the opportunities it offers those who only live off the beaten trail. You are an independent self-starter, a hard-worker, and a team player. You have a keen eye for detail and you take the initiative to do what needs to be done to ensure that each guest has an incredible time at Chute Lake Lodge. The idea of living in the mountains, but still close enough to civilization to enjoy modern amenities appeals to you. The General Manager is provided with a two-bedroom apartment in the lodge with a private kitchen and bathroom, giving you your own space to retreat to after a full day or work and play.
Duties and Responsibilities :
Guest Service / Hospitality/ Accounting & Cost Management
- Perform as the key host and ambassador of Chute Lake Lodge
- Ensure that the lodge is clean, warm, and inviting before the arrival of all guests
- Demonstrate high levels of energy and enthusiasm for Chute Lake Lodge including appropriate knowledge when offering itinerary ideas and suggestions to guests
- Keep track of all Lodge rental equipment, assign equipment to individual guests using rental equipment tracking forms, and provide instruction on usage
- Ensure that all beds and rooms are prepared to our quality standards prior to guest arrival
- Resolve guest complaints with care and follow through
- Consistently offer professional, friendly and engaging service
- Make room reservations following established procedures, using property management systems and comfortable with the use of the online reservation platform and having the ability to maximize their effectiveness
- Ensure revenue is maximized by up-selling guest rooms and recommending hotelfacilities
- Accounting Skills: General Bookkeeping skills required; Prepare bills, process payments, cash out and reconcile cash with total sales
- Cost Management Leadership
Facility & Operations Maintenance:
- Provide overall supervision of Chute Lake Lodge Resort – ensure safety, security, proper function, and cleanliness of all buildings
- Manage routine property and equipment maintenance including pump house, water line, equipment fueling and continuous snow clearing
- Maintain a clean and welcoming lodge interior, assisting with the duties outlined on the lodge housekeeping checklist on a daily basis.
- Accountable for effective waste management (garbage/recycling/composting) and pest control
- Ensure that exterior lodge maintenance such as regular snow shoveling and roof clearing are completed in a timely manner/ as required
- Accountable for the maintenance of general lodge systems and procedures (propane & wood heat, water treatment, waste & pest control)
Teamwork / Communication:
- Train and supervise lodge team members in guest services and front-line professionalism
- Monitor team communications and relay messages as required
- Fully implement policies and procedures
- Conducting yourself as a role model for other team members
- Seek out opportunities to help others and share workloads and to ask for help when it is needed, to ensure that the quality of the guest experience is never compromised
- Report all notable issues and solutions to the Owners of the Lodge
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work in a team environment, take initiative, assess priorities and multi-task
- Ability to perform a variety of activities well and be prepared for a fast-paced work setting during peak periods (typically summertime)
- Work closely with Kitchen Manager, maintain excellent relationships with restaurant staff
- Confident with property maintenance
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License
- Welcoming: Warm and inviting, we know that people have chosen to visit us and we want them to feel welcome and assured that they made the right choice to stay at Chute Lake Lodge
- Customer Service Excellence: Implies an inherent passion to serve guests, focusing one’s efforts on exceeding guest’s needs
- Problem solving: Identifies a problem, obstacle or opportunity and takes appropriate action.
- Teamwork: Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively, communicate clearly, involve and encourage others, contributing to a strong team environment. Able to work and live very closely with other staff members and guests.
- Endurance: Proactively responds to constantly changing and demanding workloads. Able to work long hours with limited access to traditional communication and social life.
- Flexible, must be willing to work a variety of hours, including days, nights as well as weekends and holidays based on the business needs
- Previous Hospitality Experience; Hotel &/or Lodge hospitality and guest service experience is an asset
- Previous experience in a similar role is an asset
- Excellent communication skills required
- Excellent customer service skills
- Previous property management system experience is an asset
- Computer skills are also required; Word, Excel, Outlook
- Professional appearance and attitude
Please email your resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm Friday, February 19th, 2021.
Chute Lake Lodge will notify only candidates receiving an interview.